GrandPa, 3-speeds and Consistency


9/9/2019
Yesterday was National Grandparents Day.  I had never heard of it, but it did cause me to spend some time on my run this morning quantifying a bit of my memory of my Grandparents.  I admit, specifically my Grandfathers.  Both of them were profound men.  I miss them.  Both made lasting impressions.  I could write much about both and probably will in time.

Recently I have found myself praying a prayer for strength and consistency.  It represents much of what I remember of my GrandFathers.

Lord,
In the context of my life, amidst my terrific wife and kids;  Grant me another day, that I may:

Wake up
Get up
Show up
Buck up 
and excel at that which is before me.

Everyday.



I stumbled across a picture last week of a little vehicle that is etched in my mind and it caused me to reminisce about my maternal Grandpa.  I was reminded of the memoir I wrote a few nights after I got a call from Mom that Grandpa Dale had died.  It was over ten years ago, but is still fresh in my mind. This is what I wrote:




5/16/2009



My Grandpa died this weekend.  He was 99 (he would have turned 100 in August).  It feels like a part of me is gone, but not in a bad way.  It has reminded me of the opportunity that my kids have with their Grandpas, and the potential that I will someday have with my grand-kids.  Very few people can influence the life of a child like a Grandparent.  And for that influence to be one that is built on the character of Christ-likeness is beyond profound.  The Grandpa aspect of my life is merely taking a break until my children, Lord willing, have kids of their own.  I have never been so eager to be a Grandpa as I am today.



Grandfathers are a vital part of life, especially for kids.  I have spent very little time with my Grandpa over the last 20 years, but the times I spent with him from birth to 18 years old are etched deeply in my mind.  The memory I have of him, I now realize, is one that captured his life at a much younger age.  In my mind, I think Grandpa never grew older than about 75.  There is a part of me that has always wanted to be like Grandpa.  My wife’s grandparents died many years ago.  I now better understand how the death of Grandparents you feel close to, brings an amount of finality that is unexpected.  The sadness is massively tempered with the joy of realizing they are in Heaven.  Their love and example of Christ is now perfectly fulfilled.  Grandpa is perfectly worshiping God with Grandma, that is just what I know he dreamed would happen.  Grandpa loved the Savior Jesus Christ, I mean really loved Christ.  His life was not loud and large, but rather quiet and strong.  Grandpa had purpose; do everything to the glory of God.  He worked hard.



There have been times that I have asked myself why Grandpa lived so far away, and why the Lord did not allow me to be closer to him in my days after college.  But I rest in knowing that God’s plan is perfect, and I am thankful for those summer weeks as a 10,11,12 year old when I had him all to myself, all day.  

I remember the excitement I had in knowing that when I got to Grandpa's cabin up on the Klamath River in Northern California, we would do things that I only did there:  Splitting logs; Grandpa gave me my own Ax when I turned 10 (it was a red handled one that I loved), riding motorcycles; my Dad bought Grandma's motorcycle for me years after she crashed it on her first ride, working in the wood shop; we built the chicken coop at his home one summer. I was really proud of that.  Working in the garden; Grandma and Grandpa always had a big vegetable garden, eating pancakes every day, river rafting; I once pushed Grandpa over the side and his foot caught a rope. I screamed, he laughed.  Grandpas look funny in a swimsuit and wet hair.  But I always thought is was so great that he would do stuff like that, fishing; Grandpa taught me how to fish and the difference between a Trout and a Steelhead, no TV; Grandpa never had or watched TV that I was aware of. Vacation Bible School at Horse Creek Church; my Uncle Ken was the Pastor and Grandpa made the craft pieces each year.  When I was 12, Grandpa taught me how to drive a manual 3-speed clutch transmission with the old Cushman three-wheeler cart he restored; boy, I thought that was the neatest thing I had ever done.  Only Grandpas let you go fast without worrying.  My Grandpa made me feel older, like I was a man.  And when I was older, he made me feel younger, like a kid again.  Recently, when I was with him, I was transported in my mind back to a day of my youth.  Grandpas give you opportunity for responsibility that Mom and Dad think is too much.  I get a chuckle out of that, because I see this happening with my son and my Dad.




I loved the “old fashioned” way of Grandpa.  It was completely unlike any other aspect of my life.  Grandpa, a farmer type, came to California from Nebraska not long after the Dust Bowl.  He could make or fix anything, and I have always wanted to be like that.  Grandpa could break the bones in your hand with a handshake, but melt your heart with his love toward Christ and worship.  Grandpa, his large black Bible and Our Daily Bread were a staple of every morning at their house. I never realized his small physical stature until I was much older.  You see, in my mind, Grandpa was huge.  His life occupied a large part of my heart, mind and memory.  This is a great reminder of what character can do and how attractive it can be.  It causes me to stop and consider this in regards to my wife.  I know she will find me “huge” based on my Godliness and leadership to her and our family.  It is the character of a man that marks the memory of him and his legacy.



I am praying that my son (and my daughters) will continue to have profound types of experiences with his Grandpas (Poppy and Poppa).  Each Grandpa is extremely unique and has the opportunity to profoundly impact each of my kid’s life.  I pray God uses them mightily. They are not like my Grandpa necessarily, but that is not what matters.  What matters, is that they play a vital role in their life that is specifically designed for them.  No matter how long they live and how long they are close enough to be with them, each moment together is a permanent impression.  That is just the way that relationship works.



Kids need Grandparents.  They are a unique aspect of life that cannot be replaced.  Grandpas do very little wrong, and do many things amazingly well.  My Grandpa taught me things that Dad didn’t and couldn’t.  My Grandpa was very smart.  My Grandpa had stories and experiences that no one else I have ever known did.  My Grandpa was wonderfully kind.  Grandpas are big (which is funny to say, because mine was only about 5’7”), Grandpas hold a spot in the mind that is reserved for just that….a profound man, whose life and words are best understood and loved when we are no longer with them.



I am already anticipating the day, when I will be worshiping God in Heaven with my Grandpa!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Prudent Stewardship Tactic: the IRA-QCD. A strategic tax and donation tool.

Why the love?

Three Pillars of M2